Participation is open to PhD students in their last year of graduation and recently graduated PhD students.
The 2021 edition of the PhD summit will include two rounds of selection:
- First Round: The committee will review the applications and invite the best candidates to present their research with a three minutes pitch during an online seminar, open to the public. Candidates will be selected on a competitive basis taking into consideration the following criteria:
- Quality and impact of scientific publications and how the research fits into the the Engineering for Sustainability topics.
- Quality of the candidacy (resume, research statement).
- Information provided in the two recommendation letters from their PhD advisor and a second referee.
- Second Round: Based on the pitches, the best students will be invited to come to the EPFL campus in Switzerland to present their research and interact with top researchers at the School of Engineering. Particularly, they will be invited to a three-days event that will include: a visit of the campus, a one-day workshop during which each student would present her/his research, and individual visits of relevant laboratories related to the summit theme. The PhD Summit prize will be awarded for the best presentation and research content.